By ATOM Legal Professional Corporation English speaking lawyers in Japan

It’s not pleasant to think about, but the reality is that car accidents can and do happen. If you are going to be driving on the roads of Japan, then it’s advisable that you know the consequences for traffic accidents, especially when an accident results in injuries to/death of the other party. You don’t want to be left in the dark when it comes to this type of scenario, so educate yourself now — you’ll be glad you did. Read below to find out what happens in the unfortunate case that you kill or injure someone in a car accident

If you have an accident …

Before discussing the consequences of a car accident, it’s important to understand what you should do first when an accident occurs. The first thing you should do after causing a car accident is call 119 if someone is hurt to request treatment and an ambulance. Injured persons are always the first priority at the scene of an accident. If it’s possible to still drive your vehicle, you should move it out of the way of traffic to the side of the road and use a road caution sign to alert other drivers on the road. 

Next, notify the police by calling 110 — if you cannot speak Japanese, then have someone who speaks Japanese contact the police for you. You must always notify the police in the case of an accident regardless of the accident’s severity. Lastly, you should contact your insurance company to inform them of the accident. Some insurance companies require you to notify of an accident within a set period of time, so you should contact them as soon as possible to be safe. 

Consequences of causing harm to the other party

According to Article 5 of the Act on Punishment of Acts Inflicting Death or Injury on Others by Driving a Motor Vehicle, etc., a person who fails to exercise the due care required in driving a motor vehicle and thereby causes the death or injury of another is subject to punishment by imprisonment with or without work for not more than 7 years or a fine of not more than 1,000,000 yen; provided, however, that the person may be granted an absolute discharge in the light of circumstances if the injury is minor.

You will absolutely want to contact an attorney should you cause injuries or death to another party in a car accident.

The Road Traffic Act

According to the Road Traffic Act, if you drive your vehicle in a way that kills or injures a person or damages a building your license may be revoked by the public safety commission with jurisdiction over your domicile at the time the incident occurred.

Important points

In summary, see the below two important takeaway points from this article. 

If you kill or injure another person in a car accident the following matters will apply to you:

  • You can be sentenced to imprisonment of 7 years or less, or subjected to a fine of 1 million yen or less; however, if the inflicted injury is not severe, one may be exempt from the penalty.
  • Your license may be revoked.

Contact an English-speaking lawyer

Killing or injuring another person in a car accident is a very serious situation and it’s one you don’t want to handle alone. You can be charged as a criminal, so you should contact an experienced car accident lawyer who speaks English to help you know what steps to take to negotiate the fine and/or jail time.

This page is intended to be used for informational purposes only and should not be a substitute for obtaining professional legal advice.

Family Law
What are the methods of divorce in Japan?
Who gets parental authority (child custody) in Japan?
On child support, visitation rights, and child abduction in Japan
In a divorce, how is property divided in Japan?
What is consolation money in a divorce in Japan?
What happens to my spouse visa after a divorce in Japan?
Inheritance Law
Making a will in Japan
Will my foreign will be valid in Japan?
How is inheritance divided between co-heirs in Japan?
Inheritance tax in Japan
Traffic Law
What to do after causing a car accident in Japan
What to do if I get in a car accident in Japan
What is the legal limit for drunk driving in Japan, and what happens if I drive under the influence?
Damage-only and personal injury car accidents in Japan
What happens if I kill/injure someone in a car accident in Japan?
What happens if I get caught driving without a valid license?
How much money can I get as a car accident victim in Japan?
What is residual disability, and how does it affect compensation for a car accident in Japan?
How much does it cost to get a lawyer for a car accident in Japan?
Criminal Defense
What to do if you are arrested in Japan
What can my embassy do if I am arrested in Japan?
How to contact a lawyer after being arrested in Japan
Visas and deportation after arrest and conviction in Japan
What is life like in Japanese prison?
What does a criminal trial look like in Japan?
How will I get punished for committing a crime in Japan?
What is life like in Japanese detention centers?
Types of visas for foreigners in Japan
Issuing visas for foreign employees living abroad
Changing the visa status of an employee living in Japan
What are the requirements for the employer when hiring a foreign employee in Japan?
Employment Law
Employment laws when hiring in Japan
Contracts and benefits for employees in Japan
Hiring foreign employees in Japan
Corporate Law
Meetings in Japanese companies
Taxes and financial reports for companies in Japan
Contracts and agreements in Japanese companies
Business Law
What are the requirements to start a company/business in Japan?
Types of companies in Japan
Staffing of a Japanese company

Related Articles