By ATOM Legal Professional Corporation English speaking lawyers in Japan

Have you gotten into a car accident? Whether you were the victim or the cause of the traffic accident, the first thing you have to do is call the Japanese police (call 110). From there, you’ll have to negotiate with the other party and with your insurance company about what to do. This is difficult to do as it is in Japanese, so whether you’re the victim or the cause of the traffic accident we recommend contacting an English-speaking lawyer who can help you.

Currently unavailable

If you’ve caused the traffic accident, you could be fined and even arrested depending on the circumstances and the type of accident (click here for more information on types of car accidents in Japan). You could be fined, jailed, and lose your driver’s license, especially if you were driving while drunk/intoxicated or if you seriously injured/killed someone in the accident. Things become even more complicated if you were driving on an International Driving Permit (IDP), or perhaps driving without a valid license (an expired IDP counts as driving without a license). Make sure you appoint an experienced car accident lawyer to guide you through the unfamiliar process, especially if you’re charged with a crime.

If you’re the victim of the traffic accident, you’ll want to make sure you’re being properly compensated. Your insurance company will offer you some money, but it may not be enough. In some cases, insurance companies will do as much as they can to pay you as little as they can get away with. A Japanese lawyer can help you negotiate with your insurance company, and if needed can represent you in court to get you your deserved compensation.

If you’re charged with a traffic crime in Japan, you absolutely must hire a car accident lawyer to protect yourself. If you were the victim of a traffic accident, getting the advice of a lawyer is the best way to ensure you receive proper compensation for your hardship.

This page is intended to be used for informational purposes only and should not be a substitute for obtaining professional legal advice.

Related Articles