By ATOM Legal Professional Corporation English speaking lawyers in Japan

Japan classifies car accidents into two categories: damage-only and personal injury accidents. It’s important to understand the difference between the two in the unfortunate case that you ever experience a traffic accident while in Japan. The legal consequences vary depending on the type of accident, so if you were at fault for the accident, then you especially want to be aware of the differences between these two types of accidents. Read on to learn about the types of car accidents in Japan, their legal consequences, and getting legal representation. 

What to do when an accident happens

Remember that when you have a car accident in Japan there are certain steps you must take to ensure everyone’s safety. The first thing you should do after causing a car accident is call 119 if someone is hurt to request treatment and an ambulance. Injured persons are always the first priority at the scene of an accident. If it’s possible to still drive your vehicle, you should move it out of the way of traffic to the side of the road and use a road caution sign to alert other drivers on the road. 

Next, notify the Japanese police by calling 110 — if you cannot speak Japanese, then have someone who speaks Japanese contact the police for you. You must always notify the police in the case of an accident regardless of the accident’s severity. Lastly, you should contact your insurance company to inform them of the accident. Some insurance companies require you to notify of an accident within a set period of time, so you should contact them as soon as possible to be safe. 

Damage-only accidents (busson jiko)

If you cause only property damage in the accident, then you will not have points added to your license. In most cases, there will be no legal consequence (no charges brought against you). You may still want to hire a car accident lawyer, in case negotiations with your insurance company go wrong.

If you damage the other party’s property, you are responsible for the repair cost and purchase cost. However, these costs are usually covered by your insurance company. 

Personal injury accidents (jinshin jiko)

Depending on how severely the other party was injured, you will have points added to your license. You could possibly be charged with negligent driving causing death or injury, or dangerous driving causing death or injury, depending on the manner of driving and the degree of injury of the victim.

Additionally, there will be a liability for damages to the victim. However, your Japanese insurance company may be able to partially or fully cover the cost of the damages. If you or a fellow passenger of your car gets injured, you can receive compensation by personal injury insurance or passenger accident insurance.

For more information on penalties for causing injuries/death in a car accident, click here.

License point system in Japan

The licenses in Japan work on a point system. Your license can be suspended or revoked if you collect too many points on your license due to doing something wrong. To learn more about how the point system works and the various violations, click here.

Contact an English-speaking lawyer

Regardless of the type of accident you have, you should contact an English-speaking lawyer to help you sort out the aftermath. A lawyer can help ensure you get paid the maximum amount from your insurance company,or lessen fines or charges in the case that you are facing legal consequences.

This page is intended to be used for informational purposes only and should not be a substitute for obtaining professional legal advice.

Family Law
What are the methods of divorce in Japan?
Who gets parental authority (child custody) in Japan?
On child support, visitation rights, and child abduction in Japan
In a divorce, how is property divided in Japan?
What is consolation money in a divorce in Japan?
What happens to my spouse visa after a divorce in Japan?
Inheritance Law
Making a will in Japan
Will my foreign will be valid in Japan?
How is inheritance divided between co-heirs in Japan?
Inheritance tax in Japan
Traffic Law
What to do after causing a car accident in Japan
What to do if I get in a car accident in Japan
What is the legal limit for drunk driving in Japan, and what happens if I drive under the influence?
Damage-only and personal injury car accidents in Japan
What happens if I kill/injure someone in a car accident in Japan?
What happens if I get caught driving without a valid license?
How much money can I get as a car accident victim in Japan?
What is residual disability, and how does it affect compensation for a car accident in Japan?
How much does it cost to get a lawyer for a car accident in Japan?
Criminal Defense
What to do if you are arrested in Japan
What can my embassy do if I am arrested in Japan?
How to contact a lawyer after being arrested in Japan
Visas and deportation after arrest and conviction in Japan
What is life like in Japanese prison?
What does a criminal trial look like in Japan?
How will I get punished for committing a crime in Japan?
What is life like in Japanese detention centers?
Types of visas for foreigners in Japan
Issuing visas for foreign employees living abroad
Changing the visa status of an employee living in Japan
What are the requirements for the employer when hiring a foreign employee in Japan?
Employment Law
Employment laws when hiring in Japan
Contracts and benefits for employees in Japan
Hiring foreign employees in Japan
Corporate Law
Meetings in Japanese companies
Taxes and financial reports for companies in Japan
Contracts and agreements in Japanese companies
Business Law
What are the requirements to start a company/business in Japan?
Types of companies in Japan
Staffing of a Japanese company

Related Articles